Skip to main content

Do Not Disturb !! < National Trade Symposium >


" Commerce changes the fate and genius of nations " - Thomas Gray

If anything, reading the concept note, and making that revision for the umpteenth time, has ingrained this particular quote in my mind. For right reasons, I would have to say, because it is true to the hilt.

I call this phase of my life as Do Not Disturb. Why is it appropriate you ask? First thing, my demeanor itself,  over the past few weeks, gives it away. There was perhaps a hint of conscious decision in the way I carried myself around people. Conscious, because, it makes it easier on me to work that way. Focused, and absolutely no frivolous tasks or banter. But everything has its own time and place. Precisely why I ended up free beyond college hours, most of the day. Life had not stopped, changed yes, but there was still time to indulge, as always. And that is what was my first takeaway from the experience.
Secondly, was what people around me complained about. Rightly So. It is never 'civil' of one to 'ignore' people. But, I was never the person to walk up to someone and stir a banter. I like that peace I have in some ways. Still somehow, the impression I sometimes leave is of being an extrovert. Perhaps, people whom I am close to would even classify me as a chatterbox of the avval kind. Its confusing to even me sometimes, and the best way is to leave it in those shades of grey. Considering all though, I felt bad of what was happening, but I still couldn't move away from that Do not disturb phase, much to my disappointment. Now that I am a few days into the aftermath, it is still not that easy to switch back to normalcy.

Bickering aside, what this self inflicted phase left me with, is my space, to work out what is helluva complicated in the environment that the college gives you and the hand that it deals you. Cakewalk, by no stretch of imagination, especially for someone like me who's, in most people's words, doing it for the first time, and with the scale that the event is supposed to touch, being a corporate affair. Adaptability, was the key for me. Picking up things on the fly, getting better with every task and just having that room in my brain to think things through and be a little creative, worked like a charm. I remember picking brains of anyone that I stumbled onto, and discussing nothing but the Trade Symposium. I am pretty sure that some of my friends and family from out of town, must have been thinking of an asylum for me soon ;)

Having said that, it is not a 2 man job. Never will be under the circumstances. It still boils down to all the support that you can garner. And I use 'support' very loosely here. It's more like all the leads. Delegation, is that one thing, you just cannot do without. Work remains though, your job doesn't end there. There is always something eating at you like follow ups, getting things done on time, coordinating etc. It is a fact, that among all people working diligently for the event, it was I who worked the least, especially when you put it in tangible terms. And the beauty is, it is by pure luck, or perhaps something that I must have done in my previous life, that I was allowed to do that, and pull off the event the way we did.

I have always believed that there is no one better to teach you humility than life itself. Forget everything that I have said until now, and imagine almost 120 people assisting you in a task that you have taken lead for, and to put things into perspective, that 120 is the whole college strength per se. Wonders can be achieved if only India, and the World in general, learns the strength of unity once again. Things like this, simply gives a big thumbs up to all that effort you end up putting in, and the feeling that lingers is a smile.

In the end though, it was an absolute delight for me to have been able to execute it the way it went. Ups and Downs, are a part and parcel of life, and there were a few even on the D day, that many who attended would also not see, but elaborating on them here is just not right. And if at this point, I or anyone claims that taking up the task was not selfish, well, keep an apple on that person's head, and aim for the head. It was almost impossible to execute the vision I had for the event, under the constraints that we worked, but the objectives were still met. The event went smooth, and life is mine again.

P.S. @120+ IIFTians: There's only one person I had thanked after the event. And that was our VP, not even my partner in crime. I regretted it almost instantly, because that's just undermining his effort. It was as much your event as it was mine. The event itself was an ode and a thank you. And things can only get bigger and better from hereon for the event.

Here's me passing the baton, almost theatrically ;)
Chapter Closed.
INNER PEACE !! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

200* The Titan of the world cricket just got a little taller

"The Titan of World Cricket just got a little taller " Need I say more . The only thing that I would regret after this day is that I cannot brag "I was there when.." The only people I'll envy after today are those in the Gwalior stadium. There is not much that I can say about the Little Master that hasn't been spoken off. There is not much to be read about Sachin that my generation has not already read. Comments like "I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India" from the people who have played against him, have been plastered all over the memory of this generation. All this and still that humbleness to die for. He truly is an IDOL. You'd think with hopes of a billion people on his shoulder, he will start to stoop a little, well congratulations, you have just been branded the biggest fool to have walked on earth. All said, it cost me a measly 49 Riyals to get Live TV on my cellphone, and a little more effort to postpone some of the work

The first 31st on an 'alien' land

Dear Blog, One thing you don't want on a 31st is for your day to start with work. And o'course I ain't that lucky. But at-least I got a 'half day' (will someone inform the management that if you reduce 2 working hours from 10, it does not become 'half day'). O'course the thumb rule in such cases says " you take what you get, and be happy  or else you will end up either very miserable or getting fired", neither of which interests me much. The Idea There is a thin line between "A Plan" and "An Idea". I had neither. I only knew this for a fact that no way I will spend this night in my camp. In came Mr. Tejaswi, with some ' amoeba like shit' in his head, to my aid. I will still refrain from calling it a plan, since you cannot be sure of things here in Qatar on days of holiday (family day and stuff like that), although no once can stop you if you are really stubborn and a little innovative. As for The Idea, it had a

International Helsinki Days 2012

'Minus 26 and still HOT' Oh Yes. It was hot. Never mind the apparent chill. And that was all about the IHD. Naah... I have been edgy to write about this ever since it got over, not that i'm going to forget anything anytime soon, but rather to make it more memorable. The issue with all of it is though that words simply aren't enough, you have to live it to know it. I had taken a liking to Finnish people from the start , and more so after the week. It was special this week. I got a glimpse into the culture that is Finn. Perhaps limited to the student culture, but nevertheless, enough to make up my mind that they all would go places. Work to Live, they value there free time immensely, and that's how it is supposed to be. I heard somethings about Finns not being happy etc, not from what   I saw, and if they believe in the philosophy, I doubt anyone could be unhappy for long. And if anyone had doubts about their work ethic, they just have to look at the IHD tea