Skip to main content

International Helsinki Days 2012

'Minus 26 and still HOT'

Oh Yes. It was hot. Never mind the apparent chill. And that was all about the IHD. Naah...
I have been edgy to write about this ever since it got over, not that i'm going to forget anything anytime soon, but rather to make it more memorable. The issue with all of it is though that words simply aren't enough, you have to live it to know it.

I had taken a liking to Finnish people from the start, and more so after the week. It was special this week. I got a glimpse into the culture that is Finn. Perhaps limited to the student culture, but nevertheless, enough to make up my mind that they all would go places. Work to Live, they value there free time immensely, and that's how it is supposed to be. I heard somethings about Finns not being happy etc, not from what I saw, and if they believe in the philosophy, I doubt anyone could be unhappy for long.

And if anyone had doubts about their work ethic, they just have to look at the IHD team. Missing most part of the Sits for getting food on the table, not drinking in the parties because someone has to be sober to take care of us fools, always the late ones to party, and numerous activities planned across various events to keep us occupied and having fun always. To top all that, cleaning up after. If you ever want a royal treatment, just knock on CASAs door.

Of everything that is Finn, what takes the cake is the Sits. To give you a rundown of what exactly it is, it's a 3 course Finnish meal, elevated by the drinking songs and skÃ¥ls (Cheers!) that happen in between. You sit across people on a table in completely (well, almost ;)) random fashion and you drink up to songs that are about everything from your alcohol to sex and beyond. Its a fabulous way to make acquaintances, over the songs, over the right, left and centre skÃ¥ls, and over the koskenkorva, beer, wine, coffee, punch and all that food. But what is even better is the invitation of particular groups and people during the sits to sing particular songs or whatever they like. Unique about the IHD was probably having all the international contingent singing their own drinking songs one by one. It was amazing to be a part of all that. < Indians in particular don't have such songs, perhaps we can build up some soon after this experience of mine, but what we sang, Kolaveri Di and Sutta (Linked), are definitely in line with a lot of songs that were there in the booklet, go ahead and add them in the next edition ;) or an IHD Songbook? What do you think? >

A fact that I said to many people around was, every night got better than the previous one, for me atleast. Still to that end, one night stood out more. The Cottage Experience in the whites. And its bound to feel that way, the sits was as usual great, the activities were more fun, the intimate Q and A session during the sits was even better, but the kicker was the Sauna and Rolling in the snow, Finnish style, oh yes. You want some pure adrenaline, you go do that.

Another one of great events was the Food Village. Frankly, I didn't think that it would be this big a deal, but it was, as soon as I entered the kitchen and saw people putting so much effort. I will concede that we were under-prepared for the whole thing. But the good part was we were able to improvise well and in time. And the idea worked good from what I heard. O'course most of you were scared of the Indian spices, but back home, we worship them. And it wasn't our fault, you asked for it. I always believe, what is food if it cannot hit on some part of your taste buds. Yikes! But as a matter of fact, Indians do have a bigger sweet tooth than most I tell ya, though a gigantic spicy one too. Next time, something sweet, promise.

Caps! One more time! That was my reaction the next morning. It's just fun eh, what did you expect. And I was the one aiming for the centre glass always, people might be able to vouch for that. The crazy Indian alright. Similar to Beer Pong, played with bottle caps instead The rest, well accept my challenge already.

VDD. Valentines Day Dinner. The crown jewel of events for the IHD, and portrayed that way. Reasons, it was grander, with participation open from all of Hanken, and the theme o'course. If I were a girl, my reaction at entering the hall would probably have been Awwwww, but This looks kickass would have to do here. Everything said, a suited up party is a suited up party. And I'm glad that there was nothing formal about it except for the dress code. People were, to put it mildly, on a hunting trip, more than on the other days. Some made it large (you know). And then some just couldn't handle it (One particular gentleman). Barring some unnecessary fighting though, the night was pretty amazing.

Lastly, a slight mention of something called Pulka! I would never give away an opportunity to be a kid again. And this was exactly what it presented. Sliding down the snow slopes in a park in the middle of Helsinki with only kids in sight, unadulterated exhilarating fun. A must must do. And also the eukonkanto, aka, carry the bitch ;)

Among all this, there were also these corporate interactions. Rovio, The Switch, Fazer, some PR and Advertising firm and Evli. Rovio was the one that I had most fun in and Fazer was the one I missed (I kick myself for that everyday, you don't all you can eat chocolate days that often after all).

A good good week.
Dedication 
Harshit

P.S. I do this sometimes in blogs, I love it, and I'll do this again here...
@ Baarman Did I thank you enough for hosting me? Again, Thanks, my stay was really pleasant, loved our 'few frequent' conversations, and also Arsenal. You are definitely etched in memory somewhere. Keep Hosting!!
@Ville, Sara & IHD Team -> *Bow* I am literally writing this with my head bowed. Amazing event with even better people. Thanks for bringing it to us all. It's unlikely that we'll have such an event in India anytime soon, but one can dream, and I am, and hopefully it will come true.
@Essi Good food can never go unnoticed. Never Ever.
@IHD Participants & Everyone else around -> Well, I am short of words. And anything now might not do any justice to the time we had together. What I'd leave you with is this, you ask me 10-20 years down the line, and I bet I could recall most of the week.
@Divyang & Ravisha -> Hell yeah !!
Fav Songs -> What Shall We do with the drunken Valter, Yogi Bear and A Lady in Red ;)

I would have loved more individual comments, but then it would just get messy and crazy long. So I'd leave that section short, but to cap it all off, I'd say this to each and everyone of you:

You have left a mark on me. I hope I left some on you too.


Comments

  1. Ohhhh love it! :)
    definitely best week ever.
    Mandy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy Spanish Party. Next on my To Do list ;)

      Delete
  2. Must tell you, I feel like this blog got the essence of it all, and I thank you for all the memories you left in my head! Anytime you feel like doing Pulkkalasku again, come to Finland and lemme know.
    /Salomon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so its called Pulkkalasku eh :)
      I hope i caught most of it, if not in the blog, definitely in my mind, so all is won really :)

      Delete
  3. The week was possible because of you guys, you made the week!! Thank you for participating!!

    /Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny Sandqvist, right? :)
      Sorry for getting all mechanical with this, but we were just the cogs, the gears, you all were running us ;) and we were just reaping all the fun, with y'all o'course...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it's me :D
      But really, everyone in the IHD team loved the group, could not have been better :)
      And I had a really good time, it was totally worth organizing the IHD week!

      Delete
  4. u know what?? Writting this has being a GREAT idea, and it simply shows how amazing you are :)

    An unforgettable week,
    no doubts!!

    Un besito muy fuerteee
    Maria*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure was all mine.
      Glad that you loved it so much :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

200* The Titan of the world cricket just got a little taller

"The Titan of World Cricket just got a little taller " Need I say more . The only thing that I would regret after this day is that I cannot brag "I was there when.." The only people I'll envy after today are those in the Gwalior stadium. There is not much that I can say about the Little Master that hasn't been spoken off. There is not much to be read about Sachin that my generation has not already read. Comments like "I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India" from the people who have played against him, have been plastered all over the memory of this generation. All this and still that humbleness to die for. He truly is an IDOL. You'd think with hopes of a billion people on his shoulder, he will start to stoop a little, well congratulations, you have just been branded the biggest fool to have walked on earth. All said, it cost me a measly 49 Riyals to get Live TV on my cellphone, and a little more effort to postpone some of the work

The first 31st on an 'alien' land

Dear Blog, One thing you don't want on a 31st is for your day to start with work. And o'course I ain't that lucky. But at-least I got a 'half day' (will someone inform the management that if you reduce 2 working hours from 10, it does not become 'half day'). O'course the thumb rule in such cases says " you take what you get, and be happy  or else you will end up either very miserable or getting fired", neither of which interests me much. The Idea There is a thin line between "A Plan" and "An Idea". I had neither. I only knew this for a fact that no way I will spend this night in my camp. In came Mr. Tejaswi, with some ' amoeba like shit' in his head, to my aid. I will still refrain from calling it a plan, since you cannot be sure of things here in Qatar on days of holiday (family day and stuff like that), although no once can stop you if you are really stubborn and a little innovative. As for The Idea, it had a

Brasil vs England : Match Day

14/11/2009 The day started in the usual manner. Me getting up at 4:30 in the morning, boarding the bus at 5:10, reaching site at 5:50, breakfast, work etc. But, it was not just 'any other day'. It had somthing in it that could make me drool all over myself. Something that I have dreamt off, perhaps not every day of the past 4 years, but certainly on days of every good football match I have seen. If you think I was excited the past week, you should have seen me today. I was all over the place. Work was sloppy, the consultant even postponed some of day's agenda's on my account to the next day. Kind of him, yes. Add to that he dropped me to the stadium at 1615, ya, i did get off work a good 1 hour before time, thanks to my english boss, who just couldn't say no (although he did let in slip that if england loses, he'd kill me :)). The FAN FAIR supposedly started at 1500. Was in full flow when I joined in. I have never been to a live game before, I had huge exp